It’ll be love at first spoonful with this creamy vegan dish.
- Posted on Aug 18, 2013
|4 medium yellow peppers||1 Tbsp. maple syrup or brown sugar|
|1 ½ Tbsp. olive or canola oil||¼ tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated|
|1 cooked sweet potato (baked, boiled or microwaved), peeled and roughly chopped||¾ tsp. salt|
|3 c. organic vegetable broth||¼ tsp. pepper|
|1/2 onion, roughly chopped||6 to 8 Tbsp. unsweetened vegan creamer (or coconut milk), for garnish|
|1 clove garlic|
1. Seed and roughly chop the peppers, then sauté in oil until just tender.
2. Toss peppers into a blender with the rest of the ingredients except the salt, pepper, nutmeg and cream. Blend until as smooth as you can get it and transfer to a saucepan.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, 10 to 15 minutes, until raw onion or garlic taste is gone and soup is heated through.
4. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg; adjust seasonings.
5. Ladle into bowls, gently swirling 1 tablespoon of creamer or coconut milk into each bowl with the tip of a spoon just before serving.
Serves 6 to 8.
Nutritional Information (6 servings): Calories: 120; Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 580mg; Total Carbohydrates: 20g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 7g; Protein: 2g.
Don't miss Becky's inspiring story about bonding with her daughter in the kitchen.