Remaining flexible can help alleviate anxiety.
- Posted on Jun 14, 2019
This article is based on information provided by Home Instead Senior Care.
When someone with Alzheimer’s experiences confusion about what time it is or what day it is, coping with that confusion can be a challenge for family members and caregivers.
The following tips may help you provide guidance:
1. Make appointments or plans for parts of the day when your loved one tends to be less anxious.
2. When you go out, mark the time on a card so that he or she can refer to it against whatever time the clock shows.
3. Provide reassurance.
4. Focus on reality orientation.
5. If necessary, offer distractions.
6. Make sure to be flexible whenever the person’s anxiety is heightened.
7. Talk to the doctor about the possibility of getting your loved one an anti-anxiety medication to take the edge off.