See if you can match these scenes up with the correct Bible quote. I bet you can...
This past weekend my wife and I were at the exquisite Walters Art Museum in Baltimore. I was reminded again how artists give shape to our faith by showing us through their imagination how something might have looked.
Here are five biblical scenes from the collection. See if you can match them up with the correct Bible quote. I bet you can.
1. And they laughed at him, knowing that she was dead. But he took her by the hand and called, “Child, get up!” Her spirit returned, and she got up at once. (Luke 8:53-55)
2. And he dreamed that there was a ladder set up on the earth, the top of it reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. (Genesis 28:12)
3. Now on that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem, and talking with each other about all these things that had happened. While they were talking and discussing, Jesus himself came near and went with them, but their eyes were kept from recognizing him. (Luke 24:13-5)
4. In Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion... One afternoon at about three o’clock he had a vision in which he clearly saw an angel of God coming in and saying, to him, “Cornelius.” (Acts 10:1-3)
5. Jesus said to them, “Give to the emperor the things that are the emperor’s and to God the things that are God’s.” (Mark 12:17)
Photo credits: The Walters Art Museum