This zesty treat is so easy to make, even the kids can do it! Try it with your children this Labor Day weekend.
When my 9-year-old son, Graham, announced that he wanted to make the dessert one evening, I was a little nervous. "But look, Mom," he said, "this recipe for lemon squares is just for kids!"
The recipe was simple and delicious. Now Graham and his 7-year-old sister, Audrey, are allowed in the kitchen anytime they want to make this zesty summer treat.
1 cup flour
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 stick margarine or butter, softened
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Oil 8 x 8-inch pan.
3. Sift flour and ¼ cup powdered sugar into 2-quart bowl.
4. Using a slotted spoon, cream in margarine or butter. Pat mixture evenly into bottom of pan.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. In separate bowl whisk together eggs, baking powder, sugar and fresh lemon juice.
6. Remove pan from oven and pour mixture over baked crust. Bake for 20 minutes.
7. Remove pan from oven and let stand till cool.
8. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon powdered sugar over top. Cut into 9 squares.